23 October 2018

Comment to Policy & Resources Committee 23 October


Here are the words that Mr Mustard will utter this evening shortly after 7pm


Reckless, Richard, is what this loan would be.

For 31 years I have collected debts and provided credit consultancy. I regularly deal in millions. I didn't know when I started in 1987 that I would still be in business today.

Saracens Copthall LLP has accumulated massive losses.
Saracens Ltd has accumulated massive losses.
Ironically, the latest Saracens Sports Foundation accounts show reserves of a quarter million pounds. I admire their good works which take place in Chorleywood, Harrow, Harpenden, Feltham Young Offenders Institute, Hertford, Welwyn and loads of other locations. Those works will continue whether Barnet Council makes this reckless loan or not.

It is reckless Richard to lower the prudency requirements in the Treasury management strategy.

It is reckless Richard to lend for 30 years, a distance into the future that you cannot foretell.

It is reckless Richard to borrow in order to lend.

It is reckless Richard to fail to consult the public about this radical plan.

It is reckless Richard to borrow such a vast sum other than for the provision of local services.

It is reckless Richard to think that Barnet Council know better than commercial banks. The council's history with banks isn't a good one. The Icelandic bank investments didn't turn the expected profit.

It is reckless Richard not to have due regard for the sage advice of CIPFA to 'avoid exposing public funds to unnecessary risk'.

It is reckless Richard not to think of good value viable alternatives, why not just pay Saracens to provide the community benefits you desire rather than this huge risky loan?

There is little doubt in my mind but that my words will be futile and the loan may well get repaid at the start but I seriously doubt that it will endure for 30 years. I will be berating you later if it doesn't.

As I think you should be asking yourself the questions and not me, I will return to my seat.

Please don't be reckless Richard.

1 comment:

  1. Doesn't this come under the heading of "Standards of Conduct in Local Government"? I would be talking to the local monitoring officer. I doubt that the auditors would look too kindly on something like this.

    ReplyDelete

I now moderate comments in the light of the Delfi case. Due to the current high incidence of spam I have had to turn word verification on.