2 May 2020

Today's bicycle ride

Having now cycled daily since 23 March, starting with a mere 10km loop I then once my legs ached a bit less moved on to a 15km loop and today I thought I would go a bit further still, and decided to follow the no. 12 cycle route northwards until I felt it was time to turn around and that point was at Hatfield House. Always downhill out of High Barnet, wherever you go.


 Next time I might come back on the A1000 just for the variety.

I stopped a few times and took photographs.

This pedestrian and cycle bridge is wonderful. I have driven under it countless times, it takes you over South Way in South Hatfield. The town is perfect for cycling in.


There are multiple information panels, this one tells you about the aviation trail. 


I took a photo of just one other panel, not wanting to spoil any visit you may decide to make to Hatfield.


Here is a wider view of the bridge, it is well used and maintained.


As you go up the A1000 and not far short of Hatfield railway station there is a gap in the shrubbery which leads to a small memorial area to the terrible train crash of 17 October 2000. I messed up my photo so have included one which is the copyright of bikerboy

It is a pity that this sign is necessary but there was no litter.


Stopped at the halfway point I took this photo of the statue of the 3rd Marquess of Salisbury, the former Prime Minister, Robert Arthur Talbot Gascoyne-Cecil. The park and gardens are currently only open to existing pass holders. This year if you visit once you can go back for the rest of 2020.

By checking the Hatfield House website I discovered for those of you wanting to bake and having difficulty in obtaining flour, that the nearby mill is running and selling direct to the public.


I like the front door and the sign which subtly suggests you don't knock out of hours.


Finally, opposite some unremarkable modern bungalows, this lovely property.


I hope you enjoyed the ride.

Mr Mustard
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I now moderate comments in the light of the Delfi case. Due to the current high incidence of spam I have had to turn word verification on.